Thursday, October 25, 2012

Love the way my house smells...

...after a day of cooking!

Today I made Roasted Cauliflower Soup for the first time. Cauliflower is in my husband's top 5 veggie list. I have come to like it over the years too. We steam it, mash it, make it into "rice", and now we roast it and make it into soup!

I started with this basic recipe... http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/roasted-cauliflower-and-aged-white.html?m=1... And made a few changes.

I had some chopped carrots I had frozen a while back so I added that to the sautéed onions, which I sautéed in butter instead of oil. I had chicken broth on hand so I used that instead of vegetable broth, and I added half and half at the end.

Start to finish this soup took me 45 minutes total to make and came out great! I served it with a large piece of crust bread, delish!

I also made Round 2 of our granola cereal/snack today. I made this by the recipe (omitting only the coconut) earlier in the week and it tasted burnt :(

Here is the original...http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/04/04/recipe-granola-bars-cereal/

Today I made a few changes, starting with temperature of my oven. I think my oven runs a little hot, so I started it out at 200 instead of 250. I still left out the coconut (we aren't fans of the texture) and added in 1/4 cup of brown sugar (Thanks Michelle) and reduced butter to 3 tablespoons adding 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. I stirred the butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl and poured it over the dry ingredients, mixing to coat. Baked it for 45 minutes at 200, stirred and baked another 20-25 minutes at 250 until golden brown and sticky. Once cooled, I broke it into pieces and added dried cherries and raisins and placed in an air tight glass jar.

So now that my house smells yummy, and my kitchen is clean I'm off to enjoy some family time.

Hope the 3 of you reading this have a great day! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment