First things first...the good news...this blog is going to be the weekly newsletter for our new hobby business, Winnie's Natural Kitchen-a natural (predominately organic) catering and weekly meal service outlet. Are you excited? I am! You can find and follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/winniesnaturalkitchen
We will post weekly here sharing a recipe from a past week's menu, as well as answer any questions we have received.
I hope you are all enjoying your summer and staying healthy in the process. Remember eating healthy does not mean boring, flavorless meals. You can still satiate your taste buds and trim your waistline!
This week's recipe is easy, healthy, gluten free, and delicious! Enjoy!
Chicken Tomatillo Enchiladas
What you need:
Glass baking dish
Olive Oil
Aluminum Foil
Chicken tenders or breasts
Taco seasoning (I use Trader Joe's brand)
Brown Rice Tortillas (again Trader Joe's)
Shredded Cheese of choice
Enchilada Sauce (Trader Joe's---can see I like this place?)
Tomatillo Salsa (I adore White Girl Salsa, mild---you can get online or at Whole Foods)
Ok...so this is super easy, can be made ahead of time and baked when ready. I have never frozen them, but I am sure you could do that as well.
First, bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add 1/2 packet of taco seasoning ( I like the TJ one because it doesn't have additional crap in it...just pure spices) and reduce heat so water stays hot but not boiling. Add chicken and cover for 10-15 minutes until chicken is just cooked through. Remove from water and place in a bowl to cool.
Once cool, shred chicken. (Tip: if you have a stand mixer with a paddle attachment place slightly cooled chicken in mixer and run on low to medium heat and in less than 30 seconds you have perfectly shredded chicken! Be care not to turn up too high or you will get mush!)
Mix a little bit of taco seasoning and 1/4 of the bottle of enchilada sauce with chicken, set aside.
Spray glass baking dish with olive oil (Tip: buy the misto bottle and fill with oil of choice. Stop buying that store bought cooking spray with propellant in it!). Preheat oven to 350 degrees, if cooking right away.
Heat tortillas 2 at a time in microwave for 10-13 seconds. (Brown rice tortillas are stiff, once heated they become more pliable)
Fill heated tortilla with desired amount of chicken mixture and roll up. You may need to trim your tortilla so it fits in your dish, they are huge! I trim the top and bottom off so the ends are straight like my dish. Save the scraps, kids love them!
Continue two at a time, it is ok if your tortilla cracks.
Top with remaining enchilada sauce and 1/4 of the jar of salsa. Sprinkle desired amount of cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or refrigerate and cook later.
Once the cheese is melty and hot, I top with more salsa and sour cream if desired, serve with rice. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment