Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mmmmm pasta!

As many of you know, I love to cook, but sometimes I just want to grab a bunch of random stuff from my fridge and throw it together and be done. Tonight was one of those nights, and it came out fabulous!

Pasta has always been a go to dish for a quick meal, but since becoming gluten free it is something we rarely have. After a few tries we did finally find a brown rice pasta we enjoy.

Tonight I had a full fridge to grab from, so I selected fresh baby portabello mushrooms, a small sweet yellow onion, beet greens, and a small amount of pork sausage links and in just 20 quick minutes dinner was served!

When we sat down to eat, the plate reminded me of a dish my grandma used to make called "Cowboy Stew"...basically it was elbows and meat sauce. Here is the new, veggie induced version..I could have done without the sausage, in fact most of it went to my hubby.

Cooked pasta of choice, I used brown rice elbows

Sauté cubed sausage, if using
When sausage is most of the way cooked add chopped onion and baby bello mushrooms
Add a splash of veggie stock and let everything reduce
Add chopped beet greens

Once veggies are to a desired softness, add cooked pasta and a very small can of tomato sauce, stir and season. I used Italian herbs, salt and pepper, and basil. I would have added garlic but I was out.

Serve with parmesan cheese.

Yum!



1 comment:

  1. We do pasta twice a week: penne or linguini with red sauce on Sunday, and then some other dish on Wednesday. This sounds like a good one to try next Wednesday. :) We're not gluten-free, but I'm curious about what brand of rice pasta you ended up liking. (Oh, and if any other vegetarians want to try this, we really love Field Roast brand for veggie sausage.)

    ReplyDelete