I have to say how shocked I was this week by how great I can feed my family and not send more than usual at the store. As many of you know we eliminated processed foods about 6 months ago, started eating organic and as much non GMO as possible about 3 months ago, and last month we eliminated gluten from our diet. We have made a lot of changes to our lifestyle in a short period of time, and all for the better.
At first, it definitely felt like eating better was more expensive but now that we are adjusted to the changes it really does cost us about the same. Our average grocery bill is $130 per week for a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 toddler).
We do the majority of our shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, with supplemental shopping at Stop and Shop and meats from a local butcher and seasonal farmers markets.
This week we tried a few new things. I usually buy a months worth of meat from the butcher, but I am running low and dint want to get my dear daughter out of the car an additional time, so I grab a "big buy" pack of organic chicken breasts at Whole Foods, 4 boneless, skinless breasts for about $10. A little higher than the butcher, but worth the savings this time.
Surprisingly I got 3 meals out this buy, so in the long run, SCORE!
1. marinated 2 breasts in teriyaki and served with a quinoa veggie stir fry
2. marinated 2 breasts in citrus vinaigrette and blood oranges and served with roasted potatoes, carrots, and beets
3. poached the tenders (that I removed from the breasts on day 1) in a seasoned bath of chicken stock, shredded and used them for yummy enchiladas. (Recipe below)
So, it can be done. I remarked to my husband tonight how much farther meat goes when you increase your veggie intake and reduce your meat consumption. Just make sure you are still getting plenty of protein in your diet and healthy fats!
Chicken enchiladas (makes 6 enchiladas)
4-5 chicken tenders
Southwest seasoning blend
squeeze of lemon
Chicken stock
Shredded cheese of choice
Enchilada sauce
Corn tortillas
Olive oil
Brown rice
Beans of choice
Rub tenders with a generous amount of seasoning and squeeze of lemon, refrigerate overnight
Place chicken in saucepan and cover with stock. Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat to medium low, poach until cooked threw. Place in a bowl to cool.
Strain stock. Return to pot and add rice. Add water if needed and cook rice.
In a small pot, heat beans, I used an open can of white beans. Once warm, smash some of the beans with a potato masher. Stir and add a splash of enchilada sauce. Keep warm.
Once rice is cooked, drain any liquid remaining. Add a sprinkling of cheese and splash of enchilada sauce. Stir and keep warm.
Place cooled chicken in mixing bowl, using the paddle attachment on low shred chicken, or use two forks. Once shredded, add a handful of cheese and a generous amount of enchilada sauce and stir.
Spray a glass dish with olive oil and set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Warm a skillet sprayed with olive oil, warm corn tortillas one at a time until just warm. Fill with chicken mixture, roll, place seam side down in dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Bake until warmed threw and cheese melted.
Serve with beans and rice.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment